|Between Nov 11-15, 2014, AlertsUSA issued the following
related Flash messages to subscriber mobile devices:
|What You Need To Know|
|On Tues of this week AlertsUSA subscribers were notified via text messages to their mobile devices that the US Embassy is Wellington, New Zealand, along with the NZ Parliament and a local newspaper, had each received packages with vials containing small bottles of an unknown liquid, along with correspondence referring to the Ebola virus. As of the time of this reports’ preparation on Friday, there have been no follow up reports indicating the results of testing on the liquids. While the U.S. embassy remained open during the incident, one worker was given a precautionary decontamination scrub down and the mailroom of the facility closed.
CANADA IMPLEMENTS TIGHTER CONTROLS
Readers will recall that earlier this month, the governments of Australia and Canada effectively closed their doors to residents of Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea, dramatically curtailing all visa services in a major effort to prevent travelers infected with the deadly Ebola virus from reaching their shores. The move caused bureaucrats within the UN and World Health Organization to spin off the rails, demanding both governments justify their actions.
On Monday of this week the government of Canada again put the safety of their citizens first and announced additional measures. Effective immediately, those traveling from the affected West African countries who have had any contact with Ebola patients, including health care workers, will be ordered into immediate and mandatory self-isolation at home or in a designated facility for 3 weeks and all will be monitored daily for symptoms.
Those travelers from the region without known contacts, while not ordered into self-isolation, will still be closely monitored on a daily basis by public health officials for the same time period.
EBOLA CZAR: MORE U.S. EBOLA CASES TO COME
On Tues, President Obama’s Ebola Czar, Ron Klain, told MSNBC that the U.S. would see additional cases of Ebola in our country, while at the same time mocking state officials like New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie who imposed strict quarantine procedures on returning healthcare workers that exceeded the CDC recommendations.
U.S. MILITARY EBOLA MISSION TO LAST APPROX. 18 MONTHS
At present, there are just over 2000 U.S. soldiers in West Africa serving in Operation United Assistance. Most of these troops are currently located in Liberia, with a small contingent in Senegal. Late last week, Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Martin Dempsey announced that the U.S. military mission in West Africa will likely last 18 months and that soldiers would be deployed, on average, in six-month rotations. This means that when all is said and done, there is a high likelihood that far more than original 4000 soldiers selected for deployment will serve time in the region.
OBAMA SHIELDS EBOLA CONTRACTORS FROM LAWSUITS
On Thurs of this week, President Obama quietly issued a memorandum protecting federal contractors hired for work related the outbreak in West Africa against lawsuits for importing Ebola into the United States. In short, if a contractor working in West Africa carries the virus back to the U.S. and infects others, that contractor and their employer are shielded from lawsuits.
SECDEF MOBILIZES NAT’L GUARD AND RESERVE
Late Friday, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel signed an order authorizing the involuntary mobilization of approximately 2,100 Army Reserve and Army National Guard soldiers to support Operation United Assistance.
Pentagon Press Secretary Navy Rear Adm. John Kirby says that Army officials are now in the process of notifying individual soldiers and their families. Once all of the appropriate notifications have been completed, additional information will be provided about units and specialties being mobilized.
All soldiers will conduct regionally-specific training on Ebola prevention, malaria prevention, other medical threats, and medical readiness requirements before deploying.
SOURCE: World Health Organization
KEEP THE TOPIC ON YOUR RADAR
Here again, we urge readers to not grow complacent because mainstream coverage has dropped off. We are now at the start of flu season and the government is going to great lengths to make Ebola a non-story while scrambling behind the scene to prepare a stronger domestic response. This should speak volumes to anyone paying attention.
For 15 of the past 16 weeks, AlertsUSA and Threat Journal have been warning of the progression of the West Africa Ebola outbreak, the danger posed to the continental U.S., and documenting the overall developments and response (See
As always, AlertsUSA continues to closely monitor developments with the spread of this virus and will immediately notify service subscribers of major changes in its spread to different regions, important notices and warnings by government agencies or any other major changes in the overall threat environment as events warrant
Start now to make sure you are staying prepared.
Via : threatjournal